We took Sophia for her 1 year pictures last Sunday. I have been looking forward to these pictures for a year. Our friends Mindy and Chad did smash cake pictures with their daughter for her 1st birthday. It was the first time I had seen professional smash cake pictures and they were the cutest thing ever. It seemed like so much fun. I spent Friday evening and all day Saturday looking for a small round cake for the pictures. Everyone was either sold out or only had Valentines day cakes :( Finally at about 7pm I decided I had to make the cake myself, praying it would look presentable for pictures. So we headed to Walmart to pick up cake pans and other necessary supplies. Round 1 was a no go...although the recipe said I could use cooking spray the cakes would not release from the pan. Good thing we bought an extra box of cake mix! Round two I decided to use old faithful...shortening and flour. Finally, about 2:30 am I had the finished product. On Sunday Sophia was in a great mood! I was really looking forward to the pictures. The session started good. We got a couple of good laughing shots.
Then we stripped her to her diaper and brought out the cake...
And this was the one and only time Sophia would touch it...
She wanted nothing to do with this cake. She screamed and cried everytime we tried to take her near the cake...is this really our child? I mean she did come from Andy and me...she's got to love sugar, right? Needless to say I was pretty upset. A few days removed and I am chalking it up to one of those tough parenting lessons we all must learn...in man vs 12 month old the 12 month old always wins (atleast when it comes to pictures!).
After the picture catastrophe I vowed that Sophia was only getting a piece of the big cake for her birthday party this Saturday, but I started feeling guilty about that today. So we'll make one more attempt with a special smash cake this weekend. And if that ends the same way...well, I guess I really shouldn't be disappointed that my child doesn't like cake...although I will question how in the world she can come from Candy Andy and me :)
There are lots of things to celebrate this weekend...not only is is Sophie's birthday, but her friend Ella will be arriving very soon and we also just found out she has another dinner club friend that will be arriving around Labor Day!! It is amazing how our gatherings have changed over the last 2 years...I can't imagine what they will be like in another 2!
Gosh I can't believe my little baby is going to be 1 year old in a couple days. I'll try to be good and post pictures from her big day soon.











1 comment:
So sorry the smash cake didn't work out for pictures. It looked so cute! You did a great job making it. I love the other pictures though. You got great ones! Can't wait for Sophie's party on Saturday :)
Post a Comment