Monday, March 1, 2010

Parties and doctors and teeth, oh my!

Feb 20th was the big birthday for our little lady!! I just can't believe it's been a whole year since our baby was born. I just can't even put into words what this year of motherhood means to me.  We celebrated the day with a party with family and friends. A second attempt at the smash cake was made, but this round also ended in an arched back, turned head, and loud cries. Sophia wanted nothing to do with the cake! Oh well, it's not such a bad thing. The party was a lot of fun. Sophia's grandma, great-grandma, aunts and uncles came up from IL to share in her special day. It was the first time Sophia's great-grandma has been up here since we moved into the house, so we were happy she was able to make the trip up. Sophia's (and our) dinner club friends also joined us for the party. It's always fun when the dinner club gets together. Here are some pictures from the party.
Hmmm.  I wonder what this is...
Maybe I should take a peek...
Watch out!  There's no stopping me now...
Lauren and Sophia taking the new wagon for a spin...

Monkey cake for the party.  Gluten free too!
Sophia's smash cake
Dad, I really don't want to do this cake thing...
I said no cake!  Why won't you people get it!?!

We also went to the doctor last week for Sophia's 1 year appointment.  Overall it went well.  When I tried to put Sophia on the exam table she immediately started crying and squirming.  She was completely fine walking around the exam room and playing with the doctors swivel chair, but get her near the exam table and out came the wailing.  I think she might have learned that exam table=shots.  The doctor was very patient and did the exam with Sophia on my lap.  Everything looks good.  She is 75th percentile for weight and 50th for height.  The doctor seemed to be pretty impressed with how strong she is...he got to experience this as she kept pushing his hand away when he tried to listen to her heart.  We still need to be cautious of food sensitivities.  We have to wait little longer to ease her into milk, but the doctor said that she is still way too young to know if she'll have celiac or any gluten sensitivities like Andy.  All in all it was a good visit.  We also have some more teeth ready to break through...I'm hoping this is why she is waking up a lot at night again.  I know someday we'll get a full night's sleep!

Here's Sophia having her first tea party with daddy (what a good sport!).  She got this tea set for her birthday.  I'm sure there will be many more tea parties in our future.  We just need to get Andy some dress up outfits now. 
Apparently tea parties with Andy are electrifying!

Have a good night!

2 comments:

Ummy said...

Cute pictures Rachel...Happy to see the Tea Parties are starting already...I think Andy may need more appropriate Tea Time attire for next time..:) Sophie can wear whatever she wants because she's the host.

-RwB said...

1, I've got to get one of those party hats. 2, Agreed... going to need something ridiculous for Andy if it's going to be a 'proper' tea party.