Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bird Poop!

Another post already?!  I have a story that is just too good. 
When I picked Sophia up at day care yesterday she was standing by the window in the main play area saying "Bir" to which I replied, "you're looking at the birds outside?" 
Sophia's teacher, Lynsie, then jumped in..."oh, speaking of birds, we were playing outside earlier today and there was some bird poop on the ground.  Sophia walked over to it, (editorial: at this point so many disgusting scenarios are running through my head I just can't imagine what my face looked like) pointed to it, and said bird poop." 
I looked at Lynsie, "Really?!?  bird poop?  she said bird poop?...."as in bird and then poop?" 
"Yes, she said bird poop"
I sat there confused and yet relieved at the same time.  Truth be told it was much more relief.
"She was with Ashley (one of her other teachers) and Ashley told me about it.  She then turned to Sophia and asked her, 'Sophia where's the bird poop?' Sophia then walked over and pointed to the bird poop"
"Wow" I was holding Sophie in my arms, so I looked at her and asked " Did daddy teach you that?" 
Fastforward 30 minutes...
When Andy got home that evening I had to ask "Did you teach Sophie 'bird poop'"
"What....uhhhh no.  Why would I teach her bird poop?" (editorial: this question could have easily sparked a whole other discussion that I wasn't going to go into at that moment)
"Well..."  I proceeded to tell Andy the story and he got a nice kick out of it as well. 

Now either my child is a genious and at 14 months has been able to put together that when we say the word "poop" in reference to her having a dirty diaper that it means going #2 and that birds being animals must also go #2 and that the white stuff on the ground is from the birds and therefore is bird poop OR (and I hesitate to say the more likely case) she has heard someone at day care make reference to bird poop that was on the ground.  Either way it made for a pretty funny part of our day and now someday we get to tell Sophie that her first multi-word phrase was bird poop.  I love kids at this age!

(A final editorial: Why a post on poop?  In hindsight it is quite amazing that we've made it 14 months without one.  There are so many wonderful aspects to being a mom.  And there are also so many inevitable ones...probably the biggest of which is how a normally disgusting excretion of our bodies becomes so common place.  I can't tell you how many conversations our family has had about poop in the last year.  It's a big topic when you have an infant.  It has even spilled into our trips back to Peoria and has now become a running joke that we can't get together without talking about it.  For those of you that don't have children or whose children are grown enough that the memory of frequent poop discussions has faded I extend to you my apologizes for the number of times you have to read the word poop in this post.  For the rest of us?  A post on poop....well that's just another Tuesday.)

1 comment:

-RwB said...

oh man... nice work 'mom' :)